Managing Files in Aginity Pro¶
You can now open files with Aginity Pro! You’ll notice in the File menu commands for Open, Save and Save As. This commands will let you interact with files directly on your hard drive. By doing this you can now easily open your existing SQL files as well as start to govern your SQL in both files and in the Aginity Catalog. At Aginity we tend to use files to store SQL that we are in the process of developing and then use the Catalog as a place to store finished SQL assets for personal or collaborative use.
Once you click on a file menu item you will be presented with a typical file explorer for your O/S as shown below.
In the Query Panel the tab header will display with a symbol as shown below to let you know you are working with a file. Note the symbol * will denote that you have made changes and need to save the file. Even if you don’t save the file and exit Aginity Pro, you’ll changes will be there since we maintain state of all tabs regardless. You do need to actually save though if you open the SQL file in another editor.
Working with File Projects¶
On the left hand side of the object browser you’ll see a new tab for Project. This allows you to open an entire folder off your hard drive and manage the SQL Files within them. By default you will see a button prompting you to Open Project as shown below.
When you click Open you’ll be prompted with your O/S specific file explorer asking you to open a folder to displayed
This is not asking you to Open a SQL File but instead an entire folder. If you want to just open a SQL File use the File - Open menu item.
Once you open the folder you will see the entire folder structure in the object browser as show below.
To open and start editing a file in Aginity Pro just double click.
Right clicking on any file within here presents you with several options listed and described below.
- New file - Will create a new file in the enclosed directory
- New directory - Will create a new folder in the enclosed directory
- Cut file - Will use clipboard to cut the file
- Copy file - Will use clipboard to copy the file
- Rename - Allows you to rename the file
- Delete - Delete the file; note this is an actual physical delete from disk not just within Aginity Pro
- Open with encoding - If you file uses a specific encoding you can’t specify that here
- Copy file path - Copy the file path